Monday 20 March 2017

Title sequence research

Titles are very effective in enhancing the scene and can play a big part in setting emotion and enhancing tone to the sequence. size, timing and introduction to these titles will help enhance the scene whilst subtly giving us as the audience insight into the people behind the film and key actors who play parts within the film. They are only used for the most important people responsible for the creation of the film and come at the start of the film which differs to the credit which roll after the film have ended and list every person involved in the movie its self as well as distribution and marketing.


Opening Credits


For the Titles I wanted to go for a more discreet effect which would involve very standard looking titles in the sense they would just appear on screen without a fade however this would be hidden by a cut which I gathered inspiration from the TV series which helped inspire my opening- Peaky Blinders.



I used an external font sourced from dafont.com which I felt complimented the text of the final title as I wanted the final text to have more impact so didn't use the same font for the opening titles. I wanted to give a rustic and industrial feel to the fonts showing them as almost damaged which matches the characters personalities very well. I chose to use alternate corners for each opening title to almost divert the viewers attention so the titles do not seem predictable and are spontaneous this effect I also took inspiration for from Peaky Blinders. I chose to make the text quite bold and big to also reflect the protagonists personalities. I chose to use a white colour for the text as I really like white text as I feel it compliments the colour grade very well and stands out from the darker tones of the film. It also presents a sense of irony as the colour white is quite pure which would later on in the sequence become apparent none of the characters are pure.


Outro Title


For the outro title I wanted to give a very edgy and industrial look and found using smoke on a black background made this work very easily. I wanted a rustic looking text which would be minimalistic yet very poignant over the smoke. Once again I sourced the font from dafont.com and sourced the smoke from stock footage. I wanted slow moving smoke to compliment the music and create a very mysterious yet modern feel to the outro. I rendered out the outro in after effects yet when it came to importing in Premiere I felt it wasn't as impactful as I wanted it to be so I saw I had a glitch effect plugin installed in Premiere which I felt would give a very spontaneous and sudden twitch to the outro which would reflect the volatile and irrational theme running through the whole film should it be taken to production. The title would then fade to black and into the next scene.



I used keyframes to alter the opacity of the smoke and text so that they both faded in slowly to give a mysterious effect enhanced through this. I feel the glitch added in later worked well with the soundtrack to relight the energy lost through the sudden death and this was built back up through the car sounds I added in production and the glitch effect combined with the drum introduction of the soundtrack gives a very energetic feel to the conclusion of the opening ready for the scene to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment